Finally, after several delays, BAD TRAFFICK, the 2nd book in the Leine Basso Thriller Series (after SERIAL DATE) is available on Amazon.com! (Soon to be available on B&N, iBookstore, KOBO, etc. ) Here’s the description:
Identified as a person of interest in three cold case murders, retired assassin Leine Basso is told to remain in Los Angeles until the investigation concludes. As a favor to Detective Santiago Jensen, she accepts a temporary position as a security specialist for A-list actor Miles Fournier, who believes he is the target of kidnappers. Leine finds she has her hands full trying to protect the head-strong celebrity.
Soon, a woman contacts Miles, claiming to be his long-lost sister. Having spent his childhood in the foster care system, Miles welcomes her into his home, happy to discover he has family. She confesses her twelve-year-old daughter, Mara, has been abducted by sex-traffickers and she’s desperate to get her back, hoping that Miles will use his considerable resources to find her.
Leine learns from a contact at a rescue organization that Mara escaped and is alone on the streets in the sprawling city of Los Angeles. The traffickers are determined to track her down and deliver her to the powerful client who purchased her for his twisted ends. Running out of time, Leine must find Mara before they do, or she will be lost forever.
Here’s what people are saying about BAD TRAFFICK:
“Written at a thrilling space, with well-drawn characters and a gripping plot, BAD TRAFFICK doesn’t disappoint! It’s well-worth staying up all night to reach the end. A perfect blend of emotion and suspense, Berkom takes the reader on a roller coaster of a ride. Whip fast action! Leine Basso is a woman to root for!!” – Award-winning Romantic Suspense author Mary Buckham
“An Intelligent Thriller Worthy of the Big Screen…” – Jen Blood, bestselling author of the Erin Solomon Mystery Series
“Bad Traffick takes the Leine-Santiago pairing to new heights and adds a beautifully fleshed out story line full of real characters you are going to love. Buy Bad Traffick…” – Ruth M. Ross, reader and reviewer
BAD TRAFFICK deals with the pervasive issue of child sex-trafficking in the United States. I was inspired to write this book after watching a documentary shown at a local community college regarding the trafficking of children in the U.S. It’s not something that only happens “somewhere else” – children are forced into the sex trade every day, from California to Iowa to Alaska.
Some sobering statistics:
- According to the U.S. State Department, more than two million people are trafficked worldwide every year. Eighty percent of these victims are exploited for sexual slavery; fifty percent are minors.
- Human trafficking is the fastest growing criminal enterprise in the world with profits in excess of $32 billion, second only to the illegal drug trade. (U.S. State Department)
- As many as 2.8 million children run away each year in the U.S. Within 48 hours, one-third of these children are lured or recruited into the underground world of prostitution and pornography. (National Center for Missing and Exploited Children)
- Experts estimate that 100,000-300,000 American children are at risk of becoming victims of commercial child prostitution; girls and boys as young as 11 are being victimized. (NCMEC)
- Child pornography is one of the fastest growing crimes in the United States. Nationally, there has been a 2500% increase in arrests in 10 years. (FBI–Innocence Lost Initiative)
There are several organizations that exist to fight human trafficking. Please, become informed and help where you can. No child should have to endure a life of slavery.